Looking for a go-to caramel recipe? This caramel dip is so easy a child can make it (with supervision, of course).
My son Joseph Michael developed this recipe–when he was nine!–after trying out several variations of caramel sauce and finding the perfect sweet spot of creamy, glossy, sweet, melty perfection. We’re still making this recipe as our go-to caramel dip three years later!
This post contains affiliate links. You can read our disclosure policy here.
Amazing Caramel Sauce and Dip
We love to eat this dip with apples. You could also eat it with other fruit, drizzled on ice cream or cake, mixed with popcorn, and more! My brother and sisters like to eat it by itself.
Ingredients (just 5!)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 ¾ C brown Sugar
- ½ C butter (cut into chunks for easier melting)
- 2 tsp vanilla (we love our vanilla, so use less if you prefer)
- ½ tsp caramel extract (optional, but we really love the added flavor!)
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk into a medium saucepan.
- Warm on medium-low and add brown sugar. Whisk until combined. It will look like this.
- Add butter. Stir until melted.
- Add vanilla and caramel extract.
- Use now if you want it as a drizzle. You can also cook another minute or two to thicken it. Keep stirring so it doesn’t burn! (We learned this from our first try.)
- You can serve immediately or store in the refrigerator.
This makes about 15 “servings” but it depends on how much you eat.
This dip is glossy, creamy, and not too sticky. It does thicken a little after you make it. I like to serve my creations in cool dishes like this set.
I hope you like this caramel dip as much as we do!
You can find more delicious recipes on our Pinterest account!
What do you like to eat with caramel?
We just went to the apple orchard so we have tons of apples to get through. Thankfully this yummy caramel apple dip will help!
So fun! I can’t wait to take my kids to an apple orchard. We’ve gone through three big bags of apples from the store just this week after making this dip, so I hope it helps 🙂
This looks great!!! We just got a bag of apples from a friend of mine. We will be making this to dip those apples in soon!!!!
This looks delicious and easy to make! Perfect for the season too.
Ooooh this looks good. I have made a dolce de leche with condensed milk but it can be way too thick.
OH my gosh. Caramel dip for apples is one of my favourite treats. Can’t wait to try this recipe!
This looks delicious and easy to make. I bet my 0 year old daughter will love to try making it. She loves to cook as well.
This looks delicious ? I love to dip apples in Carmel!
This looks amazing! I’m going to take a batch of it with some apples to a potluck tomorrow!
I always eat apples without a dip! But this is such a great idea. I’m sure it will taste a lot better.