*This post contains affiliate links. You can learn more in our disclosure policy. Thank you!
(**See bottom of post for Instant Pot adaptations)
Chili is one of my favorite things about the fall! It’s warm and filling and hearty and drives out the cold better than any other food. This particular recipe is a slow cooker chili, so you can make it in the morning and have it ready when you get home from work or errands!
This white bean chili is a fun spin on the traditional dark bean variety. It also uses chicken, so it is a little lighter on the stomach than beef chili recipes.
The best part of it is that you can control the level of spiciness pretty easily. I added tips on how to do that in the “Tips and Tricks” section at the bottom of this post.
I have to warn you, this recipe is ADDICTING! It’s so flavorful and is the perfect combination of spices and other ingredients. You will definitely be going back for seconds and even thirds if you can manage it!
It would be a hit for family dinners, potlucks, or parties. It’s truly perfect for every occasion. Make sure to give this recipe a try as soon as possible! You are guaranteed to fall in love with it and the sooner you try it out, the more you’ll be able to use it this fall/winter season.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (~ 2 large or 3 small chicken breasts)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 14.5 oz chicken broth (can use up to 20 oz if you want it to be thinner)
- 2 15.8 oz cans Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 4 oz can mild diced green chilis
- 1 4 oz can hot diced green chilis
- 1 15.25 can Whole Kernel Corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp cumin
- ¾ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup half and half
- 2 or 3 small jalapenos, diced (optional)
-Southwest/Santa Fe Tortilla Strips
-Freshly squeezed limes
-Fresh cilantro, minced
- Place chicken breasts at the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Top chicken breasts with the salt, black pepper, cumin, oregano, chili powder, and cayenne pepper.
3. Add the diced onion, minced garlic, great northern beans, green chiles, corn, chicken broth and (if desired) the diced jalapenos. Stir, but make sure the chicken stays on the bottom of the slow cooker.
4. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours
5. Remove the chicken and shred before returning it to slow cooker. Stir.
6. Immediately add the cream cheese and half and half. Stir.
7. Cover and cook on HIGH for 30 minutes, or until chili is creamy and slightly thickened. During this time, stir every 10 minutes to make sure the cream cheese dissolves completely.
8. Serve warm with desired toppings.
Chili Tips and Tricks:
-I use frozen chicken breasts in my chili since I store most of my chicken in the freezer. This recipe works just as well with frozen chicken breasts! Just plan on 4-5 hours on HIGH to make sure the chicken cooks through for easier shredding.
-My favorite toppings are a handful of shredded Mexican Cheese and Southwest tortilla strips mixed into the chili. If I don’t cook the jalapenos into the chili, I will add ¼ diced jalapenos to my bowl as well.
To bring on more heat: 1) Add more cayenne pepper to the chicken in step two. 2) Use two cans of hot diced chilis in step three. 3) Add the optional jalapenos into the chili in step three. 4) Use spicy guacamole and more diced hot peppers as toppings for the chili.
To make the chili less spicy: 1) Reduce or omit the cayenne pepper that is added to the chicken in step two. 2) Use two cans of mild diced chilis in step three. 3) Omit the optional jalapenos in step three. 4) Mix cheese into the chili as a topping.
I’d love to hear your thoughts on this recipe in the comments below! Enjoy 🙂
Instant Pot Adaptations
I use the Instant Pot Mini. My husband and I love making this at least once a week! We love it!
- Add all ingredients to Instant Pot (except cream cheese and half & half) and cook on Manual High Pressure for 20 minutes. Quick Release.
- When the pressure is fully released, add cream cheese and half & half and stir until blended (usually about 2 minutes).
- Stir in your favorite toppings and enjoy!