This is my recipe for a queso dip that has been well-loved by my family for about 6 years.
It all started one night when we were having a game night and I was trying to think of snacks to serve. I remembered my mom made a yummy queso and it didn’t have any ingredients my husband didn’t like so off to the grocery store we went for supplies! It was a hit!! And it has been requested several times since then. One year at the Crouch New Year’s Eve game night and at an ugly Sweater Party I co-hosted and most recently at my family’s Christmas Eve party. Their tradition is to bring your favorite snack food and my mom asked me to make queso. That was an ego boost 😉
Alright- down to what you’re really here for. The dang recipe!
Tara’s “Crack” Queso Dip
You will need:
- 2 lbs velveeta cheese
- 1lb hot sausage
- ½ small onion chopped
- 1 package taco seasoning (my favorite is old El Paso)
- 2 cans rotel tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can kidney beans
- A couple of dashes of lime juice
- 2 pinches of chili powder
- Start your cheese melting in your crock pot
- Cook meat, onion and ½ of the taco seasoning together
- Put the rest of the seasoning in with the cheese
- While your meat is still cooking add the tomatoes and beans to your crock pot. Add meat mixture to the crock pot. Add lime juice and chili powder. (I have sometimes waited for everything to melt before adding the lime juice and chili powder but it doesn’t make a significant difference on the taste so do whatever feels right to you.)
- Let it all melt together in yummy cheesy goodness.
- Serve with your favorite tortilla chips and enjoy!
Note: So this is a recipe mostly done off of what I have on hand and taste. I’ve added corn before and have made it with different beans. Experiment and find out what you like!
If you want more spicy recipes like this, try Madison’s Slow Cooker Taco Soup!